Friday, May 15, 2009

Where Does the time go?

Where does the time go?
I am home alone tonight for the first time in a long time. Mark, Jesse, and Jesse’s friend Jordan went camping tonight and will raft down the Taos Box tomorrow. Matthew is in Kansas with his friend Tanner attending Tanner’s cousin’s graduation from high school. Being home alone has given me time to think about the past year and the years to come.
In one week Matthew will have completed elementary school and will be moving on to middle school. I still think of him as my little boy but I know that he is about to enter a whole new world in which his friends, teachers, and so many other people will be begging to influence him in so many ways. I hope that together Mark and I can help him through this transition with as little pain as possible.
Jesse will complete his sophomore year of high school in one week and will then officially be an upper classman. He has been looking for a car of his own, and I believe that he has found one that we will be buying on Monday. He is looking for a job, decided not to play sports anymore and is daily trying to figure out what it means to be a teenager not quite an adult but not a child anymore either.
Yesterday I conducted my last PFO meeting at Sombra, and it was surprisingly just like any other meeting. I on the other hand am having a hard time knowing that something that I have given hours of time to each week for the last 11 years of my life is just over like that. I know that I will find other things to do and that the PFO at Sombra will run just fine. I truly enjoy volunteering with and for children and know that no matter what it is that I do, how big or how small if it brings peace, joy, happiness, or scene of safety to a child it worth it.
I would encourage everyone to take time to enjoy every moment of your life, to laugh with and love the people you are with. And to not wake up one morning and say “where did the time go”

2 comments:

Summer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Summer said...

I thought that was a beautiful post. You're an amazing person, and a wonderful mother. You have done SO good by your boys, and you honestly inspire me.

There's something strangely sad about the end of a school year, I think. Today I went to Connor's class poetry reading along with the other parents, and for some reason everything about it made me almost cry--it was such a different experience from the first day of kindergarten, when I felt really, really happy. I can't really imagine what it would be like to say goodbye to the sort of experiences you've had at Matt's school over the years. But I know that the place(s) your efforts and talents land next will be infinitely better off because of you.